MasterGlenium 51 - a high range water reducing admixture for concrete
How does MasterGlenium 51 work?
MasterGlenium 51 is an innovative admixture based on modified polycarboxylic ether (PCE) polymers. The product has been primarily developed for the use in the concrete industry where the highest durability and performance is required.
What differentiates MasterGlenium 51 from the traditional superplasticizers is a unique mechanism of action that greatly improves the effectiveness of cement dispersion. Traditional superplasticizers based on melamine and naphthalene sulphonates are polymers, which are absorbed by the cement granules. They wrap around the granules' surface areas at the very early stage of the concrete mixing process. The sulfonic groups of the polymer chains increase the negative charge of the cement particle surface and disperse these particles by electrical repulsion.
This electrostatic mechanism causes the cement paste to disperse and has the positive consequence of requiring less mixing water to obtain a given concrete workability. MasterGlenium 51 has a different chemical structure from the traditional superplasticizers. It consists of a carboxylic ether polymer with long side chains.
At the beginning of the mixing process it initiates the same electrostatic dispersion mechanism as the traditional superplasticizers, but the side chains linked to the polymer backbone generate a steric hindrance, which greatly stabilises the cement particles' ability to separate and disperse.
Steric hindrance provides a physical barrier (alongside the electrostatic barrier) between the cement grains. With this process, flowable concrete with greatly reduced water content is obtained.
What is MasterGlenium 51 used for?
The excellent dispersion effect makes MasterGlenium 51 the ideal admixture for the high quality concrete industry. The ability to work with an extremely low water/cement ratio allows for the manufacture of high performance concrete with high early (18-24 hours) and final strengths. Concrete of high density, low permeability is also produced.
What are the benefits of MasterGlenium 51?
MasterGlenium 51 offers the following benefits:
- Flowable concrete with the lowest water/cement ratio.
- Allows reduction of curing cycles - i.e. time or temperature.
- Possibility of elimination of steam curing.
- Allows concrete production at low temperature.
- Less vibration required even in case of congested steel reinforcement.
- Less workmanship required.
- Improves concrete surface finish and texture.
- Compared to traditional superplasticizers, the addition of MasterGlenium 51 will improve the physical properties and thus the durability of concrete.
MasterGlenium 51 increases:
- Initial and final compressive strength.
- Initial and final flexural and tensile strength.
- adhesion to reinforcement and prestressed steel.
- resistance to carbonation and chloride ion attack of concrete.
- resistance to aggressive atmospheric conditions.
MasterGlenium 51 decreases:
- Risk of shrinkage.