MasterSeal 578 - An elastomeric, highly flexible cementitious waterproof coating for concrete and masonry structures
What is MasterSeal 578?
MasterSeal 578 is a two-component, cement
based, flexible coating for waterproofing and
protection of concrete and masonry structures,
cement and gypsum boards.
MasterSeal 578 powder is a blend of Portland
cements, selected silica sands and modifying
agents. When mixed to a slurry consistency with
MasterSeal 578 liquid polymer emulsion, can be
easily applied by brush, roller or spray equipment.
It cures to form an elastomeric flexible membrane.
MasterSeal 578 must be reinforced with mesh
across all construction joints and cracks. The
reinforcing mesh may be either 100% virgin
polypropylene or an alkali resistant glass-fibre
mesh. Consult our Technical Service Team for further advice on the correct
selection of mesh.
What is MasterSeal 578 used for?
- Suitable for internal and external applications
- Waterproofing and protection of roofs,
terraces, balconies, bathrooms and other wet
areas (before tiles are installed using a
proprietary tile adhesive.)
- Waterproofing of water retaining and hydraulic
- Waterproofing of lightweight cement blocks,
plasterboard render and cementitious surfaces
- Flexible protection of concrete structures
subject to minor deformation under load.
- Protection of cementitious renders and
concrete with cracks (caused by shrinkage,
minor movement or dynamic stresses) and
against infiltration of water and aggressive
elements from the atmosphere.
- Protection of concrete structural elements
repaired with products from the MasterEmaco
or MasterBrace ranges against the
penetration of carbon dioxide.
- Protection of concrete surfaces from sea-water
and deicing salts, chloride attack and
What are the benefits of MasterSeal 578?
- High performance: accommodates movement
up to 2 mm, when applied at 2 mm thickness
- Excellent elongation at failure
- Excellent mechanical characteristics
- Easy application due to product’s consistency
- Possibility to apply on existing coverings
- Compatible with ceramic, mosaic and natural
- Excellent adhesion
- Retains flexibility when submerged
- Flexible under all environmental conditions
- High resistance to carbon dioxide diffusion:
Protects concrete from rebar corrosion. A
1mm coating provides anti-carbonation cover
equivalent up to 40 cm of concrete
- Resistant to the penetration of aggressive
substances which are present in the
atmosphere (such as carbon dioxide, sulphur
dioxide and sulphuric anhydride) and soluble
salts which are present in seawater or in the
ground (such as chlorides and sulphates)
- UV resistant, can be used as final coating in
- Good chemical resistance against soft water,
domestic waste water, manure or other liquids
moderately aggressive to mineral substrates
- Long service life even in rigid climatic
conditions like coastal or industrial areas
- Non-toxic; suitable for use in contact with